Friday, December 25, 2009

What's so Great About Monday?

The title for this blog was inspired by the book Crying on Sunday by Elaine Herrin Onley. In her book, Mrs. Onley describes the series of events that led to her husband's forced resignation from the church where he was pastor. One of the saddest paragraphs in the book describes their trip to church on the rainy Sunday when he resigned.

I wish I had the book here now -- I'd type out the quote for you. It's so sad. It makes me cry because I've made that trip. I've sat in a too-silent car as my husband drove us toward the Sunday morning service when he would resign as pastor. I've sat in my seat and held the tears back as I watched him resign from the only job he's ever truly loved. My journey has included many, many tearful Sundays. For the first year after the resignation, I cried every single Sunday. Even now, almost two years later, I still have Sundays that I cry.

For me, while Sunday is synonymous with pain, Monday somehow symbolizes hope. Hope that someday the hurt will be just a memory. Hope that someday the hole in my heart will not ache so badly. Hope that God has wonderful, beautiful plans for our lives and that he is working out those plans, even though right now it doesn't seem like it.

So, I'm waiting for Monday. Thanks for waiting with me!







No comments:

Post a Comment